Miang Pla Too
(Mackerel with Herbs and Savoury Sauce)
“The Outstanding feature of this dish is to put all the
ingredients in a mouthful wrap. Possible wrapping materials
are wild betel leaves, lettuce, Chinese kale, pickled cabbage
(Lao-tian recipe) and also noodles (called ‘Miang Kuai Tiao’).
Importantly, the ingredients must be cut into small pieces
or dices to make a bite-size wrap. Sauce is optional.”
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 steamed mackerel (200 grams each)
- 40 grams young ginger, cut into 0.5-cm. dices
- 40 grams shallot, cut into 0.5-cm. dice
- 40 grams toasted peanuts
- 40 grams lime, cut into 0.5-cm dices
- 40 grams dried shrimps, deep-fried
- 20 grams hot chili peppers, finely sliced
- 3-4 lettuce leaves
- 80 grams rice vermicelli, soaked in water and blanched
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Savoury Sauce
- 40 ml. fish sauce
- 30 grams palm sugar
- 60 ml. lime juice
- To make the savoury sauce, combine fish sauce,
palm sugar and lime juice in a mixing bowl, stirring
well to dissolve. Set aside.
2.Prepare the mackerel. Deep fry the mackerel in
a pan over medium heat until golden brown. Transfer
to a plate. Leave to cool and fillet. Make 8 bite-size
pieces from each mackerel.
3.Arrange Miang ingredients on a plate; fried
mackerel pieces, young ginger, shallots, toasted
peanuts, lime, fried dried shrimps and sliced hot chili
peppers. Place a bowl of the savoury sauce in the
middle. Serve with fresh lettuce and blanched rice
- To eat, fold a lettuce leaf into a cone shape,
add fried mackerel, ginger, shallots, peanuts, lime,
dried shrimps and hot chili peppers. Drop a spoonful
of the savoury sauce on it and eat in one bite.
🔶 All ingredients for Miang should be cut into bite-
sized pieces to accommodate eating.
🔶 When cooled down, good Miang savoury sauce
should have the texture of sweetened condensed milk.
If you prefer thicker sauce, mix in some pounded sweet